Quality isn’t negotiable, but some manufacturers think the process used to achieve it is. No matter which way you slide it, having a configurable quality management software is essential for your organization — and why an effective out-of-the-box system doesn’t realistically exist.
When Intellect entered the QMS space, we realized that our customers had very similar processes because they were built around compliance with FDA and ISO regulations. Certain companies did things a little differently, but none was an extreme outlier. To enable customers to launch quickly and effectively, we created a framework that meets 80% of regulation requirements out of the box.
In manufacturing, quality managers must first develop a complete understanding of how processes come together to form a product. Once they know how a product is made, they can document each specific process that creates it. Then, their responsibility involves training every existing employee and every incoming employee to ensure they can follow the processes without diverging from them. Control the processes, and you control the quality.
Many quality managers start out tracking processes manually on paper or using spreadsheets. These solutions may work in the beginning, but they quickly prove troublesome as organizations grow and mature. With too many complex processes and too many employees, automated software is the obvious answer — but choosing which specific solution to rely on is decidedly less obvious.
Don’t Settle for a Static QMS
It can be tough trying to figure out how to evaluate the effectiveness of a quality management system. Many organizations are tempted to settle for an out-of-the-box solution that they can use immediately. The problem is that these solutions won’t necessarily work with all of your processes — processes you might have spent years trying to implement. Retraining everyone to work around a QMS shortcoming is a big risk and one that hardly seems fair to employees.
Another option is building a solution from the ground up. It’s a complex process that usually involves hiring different companies to piece a custom QMS together. It can be prohibitively expensive, and it doesn’t guarantee that your quality management system is effective.
Enter the Goldilocks option. Intellect’s solution will get you 80% of the way there right out of the box, but it allows for modification to account for the remaining 20%. No retraining the workforce and no custom-built software, because our solution is highly configurable and hyper-adaptive. Imagine that Microsoft’s Access and Visio programs had a baby — and that baby did CrossFit competitively. Exactly.
Flex Your Intellect
We teach our customers how to use Intellect to set up a quality management system and build apps from scratch. Take an inspection app, for example. How the app is structured depends on what’s being inspected, from incoming goods or finished products to facilities and manufacturing machines. Our software allows for all these uses and more.
In addition, configurability can help quality managers make changes when quality isn’t up to par. If you find that certain products are falling through the cracks, any QMS will help you pinpoint where it’s happening. Intellect stands out because it allows you to optimize or improve a process with this new information, ensuring that the issue doesn’t arise again.
When standards or regulations change, some companies have to go out and find a completely different QMS solution, which is incredibly disruptive (and not in a good way). Intellect’s configurable system allows an organization to modify and optimize its processes to adhere to the new demands and maintain uninterrupted compliance.
Compliance can be a royal pain, but it’s also important. Rules and regulations exist for a reason, and staying on top of them can help you avoid some major consequences. You can also use compliance as a competitive edge because it demonstrates to potential customers that you take quality, safety, and security seriously. To maintain both compliance and high-quality standards, opt for Intellect and enjoy refreshing flexibility.